Published on July 16th, 2018 | by Jelena D0
Determine The Education Needed To Be A Nurse Practitioner
If you are interested in becoming a nurse practitioner then you will need to know what educational requirements you will need to meet before you can be licensed as an NP in your state.
- Contact your state’s board of nursing. It will be able to tell you what educational requirements you will need to meet state requirements. Generally this will include a bachelor’s degree in nursing and a master’s degree in nursing.;
- Contact the nursing school that you intend to earn your bachelor’s degree through to learn about the courses that you will need to take to meet the degree requirements. These courses will include both general education topics, as well as nursing related courses and practicums. You will also probably be required to participate in an internship or field study program.;
- Contact the nursing school that you want to earn your master of nursing degree through. Ask them about the educational requirements for earning a master’s degree in nursing. They will tell you about the core courses for the nursing program that will be used to develop your professional skills and knowledge.;
- Talk to the nursing school that you want to earn your master of nursing degree through about the courses that you will need to take to specialize in a specific field of NP nursing. These courses will cover the diagnosis, treatment, and management of common illnesses and conditions seen in your field of specialty.;
- Talk to a professional nursing organization to learn about your post-graduate educational requirements such as continued professional education and/or doctoral nursing programs.
Because each state has a different set of educational requirements for their NPs you will need to talk to a representative from your state about the educational requirements that you will need to meet.;
Your nursing school’s career advisor should be a great source of information on the courses that you will need to take to specialize in a certain field.;
- Talk to medical professionals in your community to identify what NP specialty is most needed in your market.
- NP specializations should be selected based on market demand and personal preferences.;
Some specializations take more work than others.;
Make sure there is a need for the specialization you select in your target market before committing yourself to earning this designation.