Published on June 17th, 2014 | by Alice Aires0
How To Be A Good English Translator?
If you are proficient in English, you have a world of job opportunities before you. Being an English translator is a lucrative job. Why don’t you opt for it? However, remember translating from another language to English is not easy. Different languages have different grammar and sentence patterns. You need to translate in such a manner so as to keep the exact meanings and interpretations intact. You cannot translate blindly. Translators need to apply their language sense while translating. You must realize that translation is a big responsibility and the message that gets conveyed depends a lot on your abilities. Here are a few tips to help you become a good English translator.
- To start with, you must acquire a degree in translation to be eligible to apply for a translator’s job. You must research on the translation courses available near you. There are different levels of translation course that you can opt for. However, you must consider the course fees and benefits you gain from doing the party.
- Translation actually wants you to be proficient not just in one language, but two languages. Therefore, if you want to be an English translator, you must also be proficient in the language you are translating from. For this, you must read, write, and speak in both the languages. You can also use various language learning tools to learn languages. Using technology in education is another way to hone your skills.
- You must take translation tests. For this, you can contact English learning institutes that arrange such tests. You can also opt for online tests. Doing this will help you understand your translating capabilities. You can evaluate yourself and will understand your skills. It will also help you identify your mistakes and improve upon those. You must also practice translating pages from books you are reading or newspapers. Remember, practicing is the best way to become a good translator.
- When translating, do not do it blindly, word-to-word. You must make sure that you are doing it by keeping the meaning and feel of the content. You should be able to create an exact copy of the content you’ve been given to translate. You must write contents that are too close to the source text. This will bring you reputation as a good translator.
- Every translator must use tools that will update them on the latest trends and technologies in translating. There are many language learning and translating apps in the market. You can opt for such smartphone apps. You can also learn the latest translating news and job vacancies from the newspapers and online news portals and job sites. Using such tools and technologies, you can be a good translator.
Are you still looking for ways to be a noteworthy translator? Start by enrolling in a language learning school or institution. You must also install and use smartphone apps that have been designed for helping users with translation. You must remember the pointers mentioned here to be successful in your career as an English translator.
Author’s Bio: Julienne is a student of technology who is also an ESL student. Interestingly, she wants to be an English language translator and follows an English dictionary already. Her parents want her to be an IT engineer like her father.