Joints are an integral part of the body. They connect our bones, aid our movements and provide support. Joint pain can be extremely debilitating, often getting in the way of performing even the simplest of tasks. Many underlying issues can cause joint pain including bursitis, rheumatoid arthritis, sprains and gout are common examples. Unfortunately, many people experience joint pain at some point in their lives. In fact, one American survey reports that about 76.5 million Americans experience chronic joint pain, often lasting for months at a time. The older a person is, the higher the likelihood of having joint pain becomes.
There are several things you can do to relieve joint pain, or better still, prevent the problem from starting. In the workplace, the benefits of a wireless ergonomic keyboard on your health and comfort is something you should consider. The following explains why this is.
- Computer keyboards are best placed in such a way that the user’s upper arms hang vertically. When using a keyboard, it is not advised to extend the arms far forwards. Bending the elbows back while typing is also not an ideal position if you want to avoid and limit joint pains.
- Be sure to set your keyboard at an ideal height. The best position involves having your forearms bend no more than 20 degrees above horizontal while you are sitting and typing. If you are standing, don’t bend more than 45 degrees.
- Adding pressure with an ice pack is a great way to relieve joint pain. The cold limits blood flow, which causes your tissues not to swell as much. As soon as you feel the pain in your joints, apply an ice pack on the affected area every hour. Leave the ice pack pressed against the painful area for about 15 minutes. After the first day, apply the ice pack about five times a day. To help prevent ice burns, wrap the icepack in a towel or any piece of cloth instead of directly pressing it against your skin.
- Getting a massage from a professional masseuse can help relieve joint pains immensely. You can also do it yourself if the pain is not too severe and no serious injury is involved. Use a topical menthol rub on the affected area to help lessen the pain. Keep the direction of the massage strokes towards your heart.
- There are certain over-the-counter medications you can take to relieve joint pains. Ask your pharmacist or doctor about ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. These can lessen swelling and stiffness in your joints. For more severe pain, your doctor may be able to prescribe muscle relaxants but these are not over-the-counter drugs and you will need a proper prescription to purchase them.
- Do not underestimate what proper rest can do for your body. This will let your body heal itself without the use of drugs.
Amanda Walters – This article was written by Amanda Walters, an experienced freelance writer and regular contributor to Huffington Post. Follow her here: @Amanda_W84